What to Wear for a Job Interview
Choosing what to wear for a job interview is one of the most important elements in the job search process. Remember you only get one chance to make a great first impression with any potential employer. An interviewer’s first judgement about you will be based on how you look and present yourself.
Now, this does not have to be as overwhelming and daunting as it sounds. We are here to help you make choosing your interview attire with ease. Our guide will ensure that you are looking your best and feeling confident as you walk through the doors of your potentially new employer.
- Wear a dark colored suit: matching jacket and pants
- Light colored, long-sleeved dress shirt, non-flashy tie and a belt
- Coordinating dark socks and dress shoes
- Portfolio or briefcase
- Wear a dark colored suit jacket with a skirt (knee-length) or pants
- Light colored blouse that is not lacy, sheer or low cut
- Conservative and moderately low heeled shoes; not open toe or back
- Keep makeup light, nail polish neutral & jewelry and hair accessories to a minimum
- Purse, portfolio and/or briefcase
Interview Do’s and Don’ts for Both Men and Women:
- Clothing should be neat, clean, and pressed, polish your shoes
- Your attire should be comfortable and fit you well
- Make sure that your clothes are ready the night before.
- Shower or bathe the morning of the interview and wear deodorant
- Do not wear perfume, cologne or aftershave
- Do not bring gum, coffee or cellphones into the interview
- Fresh breath, do bring a breath mint with you
Your goal is to look polished and professional. Do not be afraid to overdress. It is far better to be overdressed than underdressed. Remember that idea of a great first impression. Follow these guidelines and you always be prepared for any interview situation.